Sunday, October 17, 2010

Career Services Meeting....Decisions, Decisions

   A few weeks ago I made an appointment with a career advisor to discuss some different things relating to jobs as well as masters programs.  I am currently a masters student getting my MPA, but have taken this semester off from classes (except this internship class) to reconsider whether or not this program is the right fit for me and what I want to do.  I always thought non-profit or government work was what I wanted to do, but the more I think about it the less I can see myself in that professional environment.
   Even before I applied to this masters program I was considering going into educational administration and getting a degree that would prepare me for working in Higher Education on a college campus.  At the time I didn't do enough research around those programs and chose to go the MPA route instead.  But upon completing my first semester and getting into this internship, I still stand in the place where I'm not sure an MPA is a degree that I'm passionate about nor a degree that will prepare me for the type of work I want to do.
   Don't get me wrong, I think very highly of ASU's program and have had nothing but great classes, teachers, and a a great overall experience.  And, my internship isn't horrible either, it's just not work I can see myself doing on a daily basis.  Despite my good experiences, I'm just in a place where I want to find a program and a career that will make me happy and give me fulfillment.
  So, my meeting with the career counselor went well because we discussed programs in Higher Education, jobs in that field, those programs vs. an MPA, and different websites and research I can do to help make a decision.  After doing some of that research, I have found that a masters in Higher Education Administration may be a better fit for me.  Education is something that I've always felt strongly about, and after my years as an undergrad I began thinking that those four years of college were the best and most transformative years of my life thus far.  I think that college is one of the best opportunities available to young adults these days. Working with students on a college campus, helping them navigate the ropes of college life is something I think I would be really great at, because I know how important education can be, especially higher education.
   So, my visit with the career counselor put a few things in perspective, and was very helpful because he shared with me his experience and how he got to be in his position within Higher Education.  While I haven't completely ruled out an MPA, I have given the Masters in Higher Education some attention I should have given it a couple years ago.  I don't want to stay in a program that I'm not excited about; I want to follow the path that will make me excited to get up and go to work in the morning.  Don't we all?  I think it's important to step back sometimes and ask ourselves what it is we want, and that is what this semester has allowed me to do.
   If there's anyone out there who is getting their MPA or wants to get their MPA, if you could share what it is about the program that interests you and what you hope to do for a career one day, I would love to hear it.  Hearing the interests and aspirations of others really helps me get a feel for what options are out there and what I can and can't relate to.  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I have found myself questioning my MPA program as well. Most of the time I'm very excited about it. But I think I'd eventually like to focus on education policy specifically, and feel that to do that I should be a teacher first to really understand the implications of our system. Maybe an MPA is something that I should get a little further down the road, as an addition to an already flourishing career. For the time being, especially in this economy, I definitely think school is the way to go. It sounds as if you are passionate about higher ed though, which a friend of mine is doing right now at Georgia. We compare our programs, and they are slightly different, but he seems to really enjoy higher ed leadership!

    ReplyDelete